Ontario is proud of its access to public education. Northumberland County has excellent schools to help your family members get the education they need from the age of 4 to 18. Due to the beautiful surroundings in Northumberland, students also get to experience outdoor education at its best.

With 32 elementary schools, 6 secondary schools, 1 private school, and college and university campuses nearby, Northumberland is an ideal place to get an education.


  • In Canada, all children aged 6 to 16 must go to school or get a formal education.
  • The school year in Northumberland County runs from early September to late June.
  • There are summer school courses and recreational programs offered by many schools from June to September.

School boards 

In Ontario, publicly funded schools are run by school boards.

  • English public schools are open to all students.
  • Catholic elementary schools are open to all students of Roman Catholic parents. Catholic secondary schools are open access.
  • French language schools are open to all students seeking a French language education.

Northumberland Settlement Services helps newcomer students and families reach the education they need. Call 1-800-354-7050 ext. 6256 or email us to be referred to a Settlement Workers in School (SWIS).

Local school boards

Enrol your child in school

To enrol your child or get more information, contact the school boards below.

Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board

1994 Fisher Drive, Peterborough
Phone: 1-877-741-4577 ext. 2249
E-mail Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board

Peterborough Victoria Northumberland and Clarington Catholic District School Board

1355 Lansdowne Street West, Peterborough
Phone: 1-800-461-8009 ext. 0
E-mail Peterborough Victoria Northumberland and Clarington Catholic District School Board

International students

The Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board offers the IB Diploma Programme, which is a two-year course of study for students between 16 and 19 years old.

Visit the International Baccalaureate website to learn about the advantages and benefits of an IB Diploma.

Colleges and universities

Colleges and universities offer a wide range of full-time and part-time programs. The programs may be two to four years for professional degrees or short, three-month continuing education courses.

Applying to college as an immigrant student

All programs in Ontario's colleges are open to immigrants, but you will be required to present proof of landing. Visit the Ontario Colleges website to learn about requirements that are specific to immigrant applicants.

Most schools, colleges and universities will ask you to prove your level of English. There are a number of English tests that are available, including TOEFLIELTS and CELPIP. To determine which English examination will be required at the school you are applying to, please contact their Admissions Department.

Contact information

Fleming College - Cobourg Campus

1005 Elgin Street West, Suite 300, Cobourg
Phone: 1-866-353-6464

Loyalist College - Belleville

Wallbridge - Loyalist Road, Belleville
Phone: 613-969-1913 or 1-888-569-2547 ext. 2204

Durham College - Oshawa Campus

2000 Simcoe Street North, Oshawa
Phone: 905-721-2000

The Community Training & Development Centre

300 Alexandria Drive
Cobourg, ON
K9A 4R5
Phone: 905-372-9967

Trent University - Peterborough Campus

1600 West Bank Drive, Peterborough
Phone: 705-748-1011 

Trent University - Oshawa

2000 Simcoe Street North, Suite 1210, Oshawa
Phone: 905-721-3003 or 905-443-6500

University of Ontario Institute of Technology

2000 Simcoe Street North, Oshawa
Phone: 905-721-8668

Distance education

You might also consider doing distance education and online training. Contact North, Ontario's Distance Education and Training Network has an office in Cobourg. This non-profit organization supports students with literacy and basic skills, training, and secondary and post-secondary online and distance education programming.


An apprentice earns money while learning a skilled trade. Apprenticeships are available in many trades like hairstyling, cooking, sewing, welding, carpentry, baking, and brick laying. An apprentice receives on-the-job training with a qualified employer for most of their apprenticeship but will also spend about 10% of time in classroom training.

To become an apprentice, you must first find an employer who is willing to train you. To find out how to go about this process, visit the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services.

Other helpful education resources

Training and certifications

Adult education and training

There are many opportunities for adults to build on their education or skills training. Here are some important points to think about:
  • Formal education can be earned at Universities and Colleges once high school (or grade 12) is completed. These are called post-secondary schools and they cost money to attend. Scholarships, bursaries and student funding can help with the cost of school.
  • If you have not finished your high school education, both local school boards offer ESL (English as a Second Language) classes, Continuing Education courses, and other courses for adults.
  • There are also public and private training centres to improve your skills for work.

To learn more about adult education and skills training in Ontario, visit

Internationally trained professionals 

Are you a trained professional coming from another country? You can get your non-Canadian education/work experience assessed to find out the Canadian equivalent. This can be a long process, but there are many resources will make this process easier.

Foreign credentials recognition

For information and referrals to help you prepare for work, find out more about foreign credentials recognition at The Foreign Credentials Referral Office.

Professionals in regulated fields

If you are an internationally trained professional in a regulated field, visit the Office of the Fairness Commissioner to see the list of regulatory bodies in Ontario.

Accreditation process counselling

For free one-on-one counselling to help with the accreditation process, Northumberland Settlement Services by email or call 1-800-354-7050 ext. 6256. Bring all your education documents including degree certificates and diplomas to your first appointment.

Canadian licensing/training loans

An Immigrant Access Fund (IAF) micro loan can help you if you are struggling to pay for the costs of your Canadian licensing requirements or training.

Micro loans of up to $10,000 are available to immigrants who do any type of work. People who receive IAF micro loans are both skilled workers and professionals. Visit the Windmill Microlending website to learn more about the IAF's eligibility criteria and how to apply for a loan.

Ontario Bridge Training

Ontario Bridge Training programs help skilled newcomers get their license or certificate in their profession or trade. In general training programs provide internationally trained persons:

  • an assessment of their education and skills
  • clinical or workplace experience
  • skills training or targeted academic training
  • preparation for a license or certification examination
  • occupation-related language training

Educational Credential Assessment (ECA)

The following four organizations are designated by CIC to provide educational credential reports for purposes of immigrating to Canada under the Federal Skilled Worker Program:

Learning English

English is the main language spoken in Northumberland County. The ability to speak, read and write in English at a basic, working level will really help you to get a job. To improve your English language skills, you can attend classes in the area.

You can also choose to study English on your own. Libraries in the County provide books, CDs, DVDs and databases to help you learn English and study for English language tests (for example: IELTS, CELPIP). You can borrow these resources for free with a library card.

Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC)

To join the LINC class, you must be:

  • 18 years of age or older,
  • A Permanent Resident (Landed Immigrant), Convention Refugee, or have Intent-to-Land Status (notice from the government that you have met the eligibility requirements for permanent residence), and
  • Able to provide proof of your immigration status.

The LINC Program in Northumberland County is hosted by Fleming College. They currently offer one multi-level class at our Cobourg Campus on weekdays throughout the year.

For more information, please email Northumberland Settlement Services or call 1-800-354-7050 ext. 6256.

There may also be a LINC or other government ESL programs within driving distance of Northumberland. If you are interested in attending an ESL class in another area, you can search online to find other programs throughout Ontario.

LINC participants are eligible for assistance with childcare or monthly bus passes while in LINC class.

Other helpful language resources


There are 15 public libraries in Northumberland County.

  • These are quiet, public places where you can go to study, read or do research.
  • You can also take out books or movies on loan once you get a library card.
  • Library cards are free. You just need to have identification which shows that you live in that municipality.
    • There are often special community programs or events for adults and children.
    • Some libraries, like the Cobourg Public Library, have books and DVDs in many different languages that you can borrow for free.
    • Some also have books, CDs, DVDs and electronic databases to help you learn English, prepare for tests such as TOEFL and IELTS and Canadian citizenship tests.
    • Public libraries also have lots of materials and resources to help you upgrade your Math, Science and relevant workplace skills. They provide information to help you with your career and job search.
    • Library staff are trained to help you locate government and social service information on the internet.
    • All public libraries have computer terminals available for the public to use.

Your local library

Libraries have websites that contain information about their programs, services and hours of operation.

Alderville First Nation Learning Centre and Library

11696 Second Line Road, City Road 45, Alderville

Phone: 905-352-2488 

Visit the Alderville First Nation Learning Centre and Library website

Alnwick/Haldimand Public Library

Centreton Branch

Centreton Community Hall
2363 County Road 23, Centreton
Phone: 905-349-2976

Grafton Branch

35 Old Danforth Road, Grafton
Phone: 905-349-2424
Email the Grafton Branch

Roseneath Branch

9059 County Road 45, Alnwick Civic Centre
P.O. Box 90, Roseneath, Ontario K0K 2X0
Phone: 905-352-3876
E-mail Roseneath Branch

Visit the Alnwick/Haldimand Library website

Brighton Public Library

35 Alice Street, Brighton
Phone: 613-475-2511
E-mail Brighton Public Library

Visit the Brighton Public Library website

Cobourg Public Library

Bewdley Branch

Alice D. Behan Library
Bewdley Community Centre
7060 Lake Street, Bewdley
Phone: 905-797-2535 ext. 23
E-mail the Bewdley Branch

Cobourg Branch

200 Ontario Street, Cobourg
Phone: 905-372-9271
E-mail the Cobourg Branch

Gores Landing Branch

5199 Burnham Street (Community Hall), Gores Landing
Phone: 905-342-9996
E-mail the Gores Landing Branch

Visit the Cobourg Public Library website

Cramahe Township Public Library 

Castleton Branch

Town Hall
1780 Percy Street, Castleton
Phone: (905) 344-7320
E-mail the Castleton Branch

Colborne Branch

6 King Street West, Colborne
Phone: (905) 355-3722
E-mail the Colborne Branch

Visit the Cramahe Township Public Library website

Port Hope Public Library

Mary J. Benson Library – Port Hope
31 Queen Street, Port Hope
Phone: (905) 885-4712
E-mail the Port Hope Public Library

Visit the Port Hope Public Library website

Trent Hills Public Library 

Campbellford Branch

98 Bridge Street East, Campbellford
Phone: 705-653-3611
E-mail the Campbellford Branch

Hastings Branch

6 Albert Street East, Hastings
Phone: 705-696-2111
Fax: 705-696-2323
E-mail the Hastings Branch

Warkworth Library

40 Main Street, Warkworth
Phone: 705-924-3116
E-mail the Warkworth Library

Visit the Trent Hills Public Library website