Daily Living

Your first days here will be exciting. There will be so much to see and do, and there also be a lot of new information. Northumberland County has many community resources and agencies that can assist you during your first days in the community. Staff at these agencies are friendly, welcoming and ready to assist you with your questions and concerns.

This page has information that will ensure your first days in our community are less stressful. If you have any additional questions, please contact Northumberland Settlement services by email or call 1-800-354-7050 ext. 6256.

Other helpful resources

Information about living in Northumberland

Emergency information and calling helplines

It is important to know where you can find information on community resources that will ease your transition to your new life in Northumberland. 

In case of an emergency, dial 911 for police, ambulance or fire services. Only dial 911 if you, a family member or friend is in serious danger or a life-threatening situation. 

  • To contact police, paramedic or fire services about non-emergency matters, look for their local office phone number in your phone book.
  • Helplines are phone numbers to put you in touch with people who can help.
    • 211 Ontario is a free, confidential, province-wide helpline that helps you find support and community services. 
  • There is no cost to make a phone call to any phone number that starts with “1-8” as in 1-8XX-XXX-XXX.
  • TTY is a special phone system for people who have a hearing loss. You need a special machine to type what you say.

Applying for Canadian citizenship

Normally, within five years of becoming a permanent resident of Canada you may be eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship. However, there are several requirements that you must first meet. For example, Citizenship and Immigration Canada requires that as a permanent resident you must have physically lived in Canada for a required number of days. This means that if you spent a significant portion of your time outside Canada in the previous four years, this may delay your eligibility to apply for Canadian citizenship. You must also meet specific requirements in the following areas:

  • Age
  • Permanent resident status
  • Residence in Canada
  • Language abilities
  • Criminal history
  • Knowledge of Canada

Check whether you are eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship and/or prepare for your citizenship test. If you are eligible, visit Canada.ca to learn why you should think about applying for Canadian citizenship.

Visit Citizenship and Immigration Canada if you are unsure whether you are Canadian or not, and may already be a citizen.

Other helpful resources

Applying for a Canadian passport

There are three ways by which you can apply for or renew your Canadian passport:

  • Adult simplified renewal application (Adults in Canada or in the USA)
  • Adult application (16 years of age or over)
  • Child application (under 16 years of age)

Learn how to apply for Canadian passports for you and your family and pay the application fee.

Child care and parenting

As a parent in Ontario, you are in charge of your children’s safety and well-being until they are 18 years old. You must give reasonable supervision and care.

Under the Criminal Code of Canada, it is against the law to abandon a child. This applies to any parent who leaves a child alone under the age of 10, exposing the child to possible danger.

Other helpful resources

Newcomer parents

Many newcomer families face stress when they start their new life in Canada. Some newcomers might find a new lifestyle and learning new languages very challenging. There are special challenges when you look after the care of very young children in a new environment as well. The Best Start Resource Centre has a booklet for parents of children 0-6 years old called "Growing Up in a New Land".

You can also find important information on child care in different languages at the Ministry of Education website. 

Child care in Northumberland

Do you need financial assistance for child care or want to know about child care providers available in your community? Visit the Northumberland County Child Care webpage.

Drinking water and wastewater

In urban areas, drinking water is usually treated and supplied by a municipal water treatment plant and wastewater is treated and disposed of by a municipal wastewater treatment plant.

The source of water for municipal drinking water systems in Northumberland County is groundwater, local rivers or Lake Ontario.

Treated wastewater is discharged into Lake Ontario or local rivers. Many municipal programs and policies are in place to ensure residents have a safe, plentiful source of drinking water and that wastewater is appropriately treated.

Water conservation

Local residents are fortunate to have access to clean and plentiful water. However, water should not be taken for granted. Make it a daily exercise to reduce the amount of water you use, including:

  • In your home - run the washing machine or dishwasher when you have full loads.
  • In your yard - install a rain barrel to capture rainwater for use in your gardens.
  • In the future - consider installing a grey water system to help recycle your water.

Faith and worship

Freedom of religion in Canada is protected by the Canadian Charter of Human Rights and Freedoms and the Canadian Human Rights Act.

You have the right to observe your religion unless it interferes with the rights of others or is a safety or health concern. You are entitled to the same opportunities as others and you must be treated with equal dignity and respect.

Finding a place to worship

Having your own place to worship in your community can provide a great deal of joy. Many places of worship in Northumberland provide children and family events and celebrations. They might provide food or clothing for people in need or help newcomers get settled.

Finding a job

There are many services in Northumberland County to help you look for work. There are services available to:

  • Help you decide what type of work you want to do
  • Help you with your resume and cover letter
  • Teach you how to do a job search
  • Help you get ready for a job interview

Cost for services

Many public organizations provide services for free or for a small fee. Other private organizations may charge you for their services (for example $100 to $1,000 for a resume). 

It is good to keep in mind that a resume that costs you money is not always better than the one you get for free.

A good way to start your job search is by making an appointment with a Settlement Counsellor at Northumberland Settlement Services.

Employment Ontario provides free employment services funded by the government. These services provide free workshops, resume and cover letter assistance, job postings as well as counselling services to help you to find work.

For information about job training, government assistance, and more resources, visit the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities Employment Ontario page.

Your safety matters

The Occupational Health and Safety Act sets out the rights and duties of workers, supervisors, employers and others for safe and healthy workplaces.

As a worker, you have the right to:

  • Know about workplace hazards
  • Refuse unsafe work
  • Participate in addressing workplace health and safety issues

Some examples of employer duties are to:

  • Provide basic health and safety awareness training to workers and supervisors
  • Provide information, instruction and supervision to workers on how to work safely
  • Do everything reasonable in the circumstances to protect workers from being hurt or getting a work-related illness

There are a series of training tools available to help you learn how to work safely at Ontario's website. Several of the tools are available in different languages.

For more information about workplace health and safety:

Visit Ontario's website
Email: webohs@ontario.ca
Call: 1-877-202-0008.

Information for physicians

If you are a physician planning to relocate to Northumberland County, visit the physician recruitment website to learn more about physician opportunities and the medical community in Northumberland.

To learn more about how to become a practicing physician in Canada, visit Physicians Apply website.

Food and shopping

There are many places to buy food and household items in Northumberland County. They range from grocery stores to international food stores and farmers' markets.

Community food banks help families who are in need of food but struggle with affordability.

Grocery stores and supermarkets

These are stores that sell food. They often have foods from different places and cultures. Large grocery stores that stock products other than food including clothing or household items are called supermarkets.

Names of supermarkets that you may see in Northumberland include Metro, No Frills, Foodland, Sobeys and Sharpe’s. 

Convenience stores

A convenience store, corner store or corner shop is a small store that has everyday items like groceries, toiletries, soft drinks, tobacco products, and newspapers.

Farmers' markets

These are markets, usually held outside in public spaces, allow farmers to sell vegetables, fruits, meats, cheeses, honey and other items to the public. Since Northumberland is a very strong agricultural community, there are many farmers' markets throughout the community.


May to October
Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Proctor Street near Memorial Park


May to October
Saturdays and Wednesdays from 8 a.m. to noon
Corner of River Street & Front Street


May to December
Saturdays from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Victoria Square behind Victoria Town Hall 


May to October
Sundays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
2992 County Road 30, Codrington


May - October
Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Four Corners, Downtown Hastings

Port Hope

May to October
Saturdays from 8 a.m. to noon
Behind Port Hope Town Hall

Farmers' gates

Many farmers also sell produce they grow or raise outside their own farm gates.

Large drug stores

These are large drug stores that carry food, household items, personal items, as well as medicine and health care products. Some of these drugs stores in Northumberland include IDA Pharmacy, Guardian Pharmacy, Pharmasave, Rexall and Shoppers Drug Mart.

Food banks

If you are unemployed or do not have the money to buy groceries, there are seven food banks in Northumberland County to assist. At any of these locations, canned or packaged foods are available free of charge to those in need.

Special conditions and rules apply during emergency times. 

Visit Food Help in Northumberland County for information about food support services in our community, including food banks and local food programs.

Garbage and recycling

Northumberland County manages the disposal of garbage, recycling, leaf and yard waste and household hazardous waste in Northumberland.

Most areas in Northumberland receive curbside waste collection. For curbside collection, household waste can be placed at the end of your driveway for pickup on the specified day of the week for your area. Garbage must be bagged with a bag tag attached. Recycling must be properly sorted into blue and grey boxes. 

Visit the Northumberland County Garbage and Recycling page for more information about curbside collection, how to properly dispose of your waste, and where to dispose of bulky or hazardous waste.


There are three levels of government in Canada:

Federal government

The federal government is responsible for things that affect the whole country, like citizenship and immigration, national defence and trade with other countries. Visit the Parliament of Canada website and discover how Canadians govern themselves.

Provincial government

The provincial government is responsible for things like education, health care and highways. Visit the Ontario provincial government website to learn more about their programs and services.

Municipal (local) government

Oversees the cities, towns and villages that make up their area. They are responsible for firefighting, city streets and other local matters. Visit the Association of Municipalities in Ontario website to learn about the differences between 'lower-tier' and 'upper-tier' municipalities.

Upper-tier government

Your local or municipal government provides many services that affect you every day. Northumberland County is the upper-tier municipal government in our area. Some of their services include:

  • Garbage collection/bag tags
  • Recycling collection
  • Maintenance of some larger roads
  • Community and social services
  • Northumberland Paramedics
  • EarlyON child and family centres
  • Long-term care
  • Northumberland County Archives and Museum
  • Northumberland County Forest
  • Emergency planning
  • Economic development
  • Tourism
  • Settlement services
  • Job search and training

Lower-tier government

In addition to the services provided by Northumberland County as an upper-tier level of local government, you will also be served by the lower-tier local government for your town, village or community, depending on where you live in Northumberland. These member municipalities are part of the Northumberland County area. Visit their websites to learn more about the services provided by each of our member municipalities:

Health care

Northumberland County has excellent health care. There are two community hospitals, as well as skilled doctors, dentists, optometrists and other medical service professionals.

For more information on how to apply for your OHIP Card visit the Ontario of Ministry of Health and Long-time Care website.

Finding a dentist

OHIP does not cover the cost of dental care.

There are many dentists in the area who are taking new patients. To look for a dentist in you area, you can look through the yellow pages of the phone book, ask people you know for a recommendation or visit the Ontario Dental Association website.

If you are receiving assistance from Ontario Works and your children are in urgent need of dental care, you should contact one of the following organizations to ask for more information about the Children In Need of Treatment (CINOT) program:

  • Ontario Works: 905-372-6846
  • Haliburton, Kawartha, Pine Ridge District Health Unit: 1-866-888-4577

Finding a doctor

As soon as you get your OHIP card, you should look for a family doctor. You need to contact different doctors and ask if they are taking new patients. Family doctors are also called 'general practitioners' or 'primary health care providers'.

You cannot see a specialist until you see your family doctor and they give you a formal referral (for example, seeing a cardiologist for heart problems).

You will need to show your OHIP card at any doctor's appointment.

To look for family doctors who are taking new patients in your area you can register online at Health Care Connect, a service that helps Ontario residents who do not have a family doctor, or register by calling 1-800-445-1822. When registering with Health Care Connect be sure that:

  • You have a valid Health (OHIP) card
  • Your mailing address is up to date

Health unit

Health units provide education about health issues like cannabis, influenza, Lyme disease, nutrition, oral health, quitting smoking, sexual health and workplace health. They also promote and run disease prevention programs in various communities.

Haliburton Kawartha Pine Ridge District Health Unit

200 Rose Glen Road, Port Hope

Phone: 905-885-9100 or 1-866-888-4577
After hours phone: 1-888-255-7839
Email: info@hkpr.on.ca


If you are very sick and need urgent care, you can go to the Emergency Department at one of these Northumberland hospitals. This is also the place where local treatments and operations may take place.

Northumberland Hills Hospital

1000 DePalma Drive, Cobourg
Phone: 905-372-6811
Crisis phone: 905-377-9891 or 1-888-294-7579

Campbellford Memorial Hospital

146 Oliver Road, Campbellford
Phone: 705-653-1140

Mental health services

Community mental health services help people with mental health disorders (mental illness or mental health difficulties).

The following centres provide mental health supports in Northumberland County.

Campbellford and District Community Mental Health Centre

55 Centre Street, Campbellford

Phone: 1-877-632-2015
Mental Health Helpline: 1-866-531-2600
Email: wellness@cmh.ca

Four County Crisis-Community Mental Health Crisis Response Program

Offers free non-medical crisis support in Northumberland County, and helps link people to services. Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Phone: 705-745-6484 or 1-866-995-9933

Kids Help Phone

Offers free service across Canada. Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Phone: 1-800-668-6868

Northumberland Community Counselling Centre

1158 Division Street, Cobourg
Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. – evening appointments may be arranged

Phone: 905-372-6318 or 1-866-748-5720
Email: info@northumberlandccc.com

Based on need and by appointment only, part-time services available in:

  • Campbellford - 39 Doxsee Avenue North (Campbellford/Seymour Community Foundation)
  • Port Hope
  • Colborne
  • Brighton
Northumberland Hills Hospital Community Mental Health Services

1011 Elgin Street West, Suite 200, Cobourg

Phone: 905-377-9891 or 1-888-294-7579


Walk-in clinics 

If you are sick but you do not have a family doctor and do not require urgent care, you can go to a walk-in clinic to get medical help. If possible, you should call the clinic first. You will need to show your OHIP card when you arrive.


Housing in Northumberland County costs less money than housing in larger Canadian city centres like Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver or Ottawa. Northumberland is generally very safe since the surrounding communities are so peaceful.

Some housing options in Northumberland include:

  • House: A building for human habitation, especially one that is lived in by a family or small group of people.
  • Apartment: A suite of rooms forming one residence, typically in a building containing a number of residences. Apartments are often rented rather than purchased.
  • Townhouse: A two- or three-storey house built as one of a group of similar houses, usually attached in a row.
  • Condominium: A building or complex of buildings containing a number of individually-owned apartments or houses.

To check which apartments or houses are available to buy or to rent in your area, search the online listings at Realtor Canada or check the listings in the classifieds section of your local newspaper.

Renting a home or dwelling

Renting a home or dwelling means you do not own it. You are a tenant and you will pay a set amount of money each month to live there.

The home or dwelling is owned by a landlord or landowner, who collects your rent each month. 

Leases are an important, legally binding part of any rental agreement. Any damage to a rental property made by the tenant must be fixed or paid for by the tenant. Any damage you do not cause as the tenant, such as plumbing that stops working, must be paid for by the landlord.

Other costs of renting may include utilities such as heat and hydro. Make sure any extra utility costs are outlined in your rental agreement.

Rental dwellings do not usually come with furniture but often include a fridge, stove and other big appliances.

Other helpful resources

Subsidized housing

Subsidized housing is any kind of housing where tenants pay less that the market price for rent. Also called 'community housing', subsidized housing is a service for people with lower incomes or who are refugee claimants (16 years old or older).

Learn more about subsidized housing in Northumberland County.

Buying a house or dwelling

Buying a home or other dwelling means you will own it.

  • You must provide a down payment to secure the purchase and then get a mortgage from a bank or private lender to cover the remaining price at the time of sale.
  • You must pay off your mortgage, including interest, on a regular basis.
  • You may profit if your house or dwelling rises in value over time. You could also lose money if the market value of your home has dropped in price when you sell.
  • If you own a home, you must also pay municipal taxes and other fees.
  • Dwellings for sale do not usually come with furniture but might include a fridge, stove and other big appliances in the purchase price.

For more information about financial assistance for buying a home, visit the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation website, or call The Help Center/Housing Information Line at 1-888-698-3382.

Emergency shelters

If you have no place to stay, there are places in the community that can provide emergency shelter to singles and families.

For information about local emergency shelters, please visit the Northumberland County website.

Important documents

You will need to fill out some documents to get some important cards that should be carried with you when you live in Canada.

Driver's licence

You will need to get an Ontario driver’s licence if you want to drive a car here. To obtain a licence, you will have to pass driving tests at a DriveTest centre.

Ontario has three types of licences for driving 'Class G' vehicles such as cars, vans and small trucks:

  • Class G1: Level 1 of graduated licensing. G1 holders may drive Class G vehicles when accompanied by a fully licensed driver with at least four years of driving experience. Additional conditions apply.
  • Class G2: Level 2 of graduated licensing. Holders may drive Class G vehicles without an accompanying driver. Additional conditions apply, particularly to those 21 years of age or under.
  • Class G: A full licence to drive a car, van, or small truck. Additional conditions apply to those 21 years of age or under.

To apply for a driver's licence, you must:

  • Be at least 16 years old at the time of application.
  • Meet the vision standards established by the Ministry of Transportation (MTO).
  • Pass a knowledge test about the rules of the road and traffic signs.
  • Pass two road tests (classes G2 and G) to become fully licensed.

For more information and to book a driving test, visit the Service Ontario website.

Have a licence from your home country?

In Ontario, you must be at least 16 years of age to legally drive.

No matter what your age or driving experience, we highly recommend reading the relevant driver’s handbook prior to driving on roads in Ontario. Each handbook contains information about the rules of the road and safe driving practices for that vehicle type.

You may exchange or apply for an Ontario licence at any DriveTest Centre. Because of the tests required, Service Ontario does not issue licences to new Ontario residents.

The driver's licence application process for newcomers to Ontario varies depending on:

  • Your place of origin
  • The type of licence
  • The documentation and/or identification you have
  • The number of years of experience you have driving

If you have previous driving experience outside of Ontario, that experience may be acknowledged through licence exchange privileges or through foreign licence experience credits.

Licence exchanges

Ontario has licence exchange agreements with certain provinces, states and countries. If you are from one of these jurisdictions, you may be eligible to do a direct licence exchange for an Ontario licence without the standard testing. However, if you have a probationary licence such as a learner's permit, you may only be entitled to have driving experience credited.

If you have a licence from a country that does not have a licence exchange agreement with Ontario, you may be eligible to receive credit for your foreign driving experience. However, you are still required to pass all applicable tests to earn your Ontario driver’s licence.

Learn more about exchanging your licence in Ontario.

Ontario Hospital Insurance Plan (OHIP)

You must have a health card from the Government of Ontario to get medical treatment. This card is called an OHIP card.

For more information on how to apply for your OHIP Card, visit the Ontario of Ministry of Health and Long-term Care website.

Permanent Resident Card (PR Card)

The Permanent Resident (PR) card is proof that you have approval to live in Canada.
  • If you have gone through the immigration process with the government, you will receive this card by mail without having to apply for it.
  • Permanent residents of Canada seeking to re-enter Canada on an airplane, boat, train or bus use this plastic card.
  • If you leave the country, you are expected to have this card when returning to Canada.
  • Immigration documents such as the PR Card have an expiry date. You are responsible for keeping your status valid. It is also important to keep track of all your entries to and exits from Canada. You need to report the number of days that you have been absent in Canada when you renew your PR Card or apply for Canadian citizenship.

Visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website to apply, renew or replace your PR card.

Social Insurance Number (SIN)

You need to get a Social Insurance Number (SIN) before you can work. Your SIN is a nine-digit number that identifies you to the government.

It should not be shown to anyone other than government agencies, employers who hire you and some other authorized organizations. Do not put your SIN in a resume.

To apply for your SIN, visit the Service Canada website for more information or visit our local Service Canada Office at:

1005 Elgin Street, Suite 103
Cobourg, ON K9A 5J4
Phone: 905-372-3326 or 1-800-206-7218

Living near water

Does your property have a wetland, river or lake on it? Do you live close to a body of water? If so, a permit may be required to construct a home, shed, driveway or deck, or to alter a stream pond or wetland. Permission is required so that your property is protected from floods or erosion, and the environment is protected from your activities.

Contact your local municipal building department or conservation authority to learn more.

Money and banking

The Canadian banking system is regarded as one of the most effective and secure in the world, though not always free.

Check the Just for Canada Website for important information about:

  • How to open a bank account
  • Types of bank accounts
  • How to build your credit history
  • Sending money abroad
  • List of Canadian banks

Northumberland Newcomers Network

The Northumberland Newcomers Network provides access to resources, support and mentorship while helping to promote diversity in our community and providing an inclusive and welcoming space for other newcomers. The also offer programs to support women and youth.

Prosperity for Woman Network

The Prosperity for Woman Network supports immigrant women in Northumberland County by providing an opportunity to share stories and suggestions, and to consult with local stakeholders to improve prosperity for  newcomer women in the County.

The Youth Network Core

The Youth Network Core is a dynamic platform for youth engagement that can serve to unite individuals of varied backgrounds toward a common goal.

The Youth Network Core is a program dedicated to growing young newcomers’ connections and allowing for networking with one another through numerous events held throughout the year.

Their mission is to provide young newcomers with an atmosphere that facilitates learning, growth, as well as meeting amazing people during the process. They believe that youth newcomers  have a profound effect on the community.  In partnering with other non-profit organizations will facilitate learning and growth among peers better. They believe in the synergy created by bringing people, partnership and possibilities for a strong and vibrant Northumberland County. 

  • Sharing resources and life skills training with a closed cohort with a variety of programs.
  • Offer a broader enrolment and rely upon the voluntary participation of members to advocate for policy and practice changes based on shared goals.
  • Members of youth networks will have numerous personal gains as a result of their involvement.

Severe weather

Local conservation authorities maintain a flood forecasting and warning system. The purpose of the system is to reduce risk to life and damage to property by providing local agencies and the public with advanced notice, information and advice so that they can respond to potential flooding and flood emergencies. There are four types of flood messages: flood safety bulletin, flood advisory, flood warning and Lake Ontario shoreline hazard warning.

Environment Canada warns residents of severe weather. There are 22 types of weather events that can trigger an alert. An alert is a transmitted signal that is used to heighten awareness and/or initiate preparation for action. Alerts are issued by Environment Canada's Meteorological Service (MSC) for weather or environmental hazard events that are either occurring, imminent, or forecast to develop. Alerts are currently issued as special weather statements, advisories, watches and warnings.

Specialized health and learning services

There are many support services for people who have special learning needs or health needs in Northumberland County. Children, adults and the elderly can benefit from these services. In some cases, these services are subsidized by the government, reducing or eliminating fees to the individual.

Five Counties Children’s Centre

The Five Counties Children's Centre is a not-for-profit agency that provides speech language therapy, occupational therapy, physiotherapy and clinics to children who need it most.

Cobourg location

800 Division Street, Unit 2, Cobourg
Phone: 905-377-0192
Email: info@fivecounties.on.ca

Campbellford location

Campbellford Hospital, 174 Oliver Road, Campbellford
Phone: 705-653-1334
Email: info@fivecounties.on.ca

Central East Access Centre

The Central East Local Health Integration Network or LHIN (Formerly CCAC) helps people with a chronic disease or disability to access health care and support services like nursing and therapies.
Campbellford location

119 Isabella Street, Unit 7, Campbellford
Phone: 705-653-1005 or 1-800-368-8053
After hours phone: 1-877-468-5544

Port Hope location

151A Rose Glen Road, Port Hope
Phone: 905-885-6600 or 1-800-347-0299
After hours phone: 905-885-6222

The Canadian Hearing Society (Outreach Program)

The Canadian Hearing Society offers programs and services to meet the needs of people who are culturally deaf, oral deaf, deafened, or hard of hearing.

Phone: 705-743-1573
TTY: 705-743-1621

Alzheimer Society of Peterborough, Kawartha Lakes, Northumberland and Haliburton

18-360 George Street North, Peterborough

Phone: 705-748-5131
Email: info@alzheimerjourney.ca

For other specialized services contact Northumberland Settlement Services.


Northumberland County is an hour east of Toronto along Ontario’s major highway, the 401. There is also easy access to Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal by Via Rail Train. The local bus system is a good way to get around Cobourg and get to and from Port Hope. In Northumberland County’s other small communities, you can drive, take a taxi, or cycle.


To drive a car in Northumberland (and in Canada), you will need to get an Ontario driver’s license.

Buying A Car?

There are many things to consider before you buy a car. Do you want a new or used car? Be aware that there are many costs involved in owning a car. Aside from the ownership costs including applicable taxes, you will need to pay for your car insurance, car loan, gas and maintenance. To learn more about what it really cost to own a car in Ontario visit Settlement website.

Connecting Northumberland Transportation

Community Care Northumberland offers door-to-door, rural-to-urban and specialized transportation services to residents in Northumberland. These programs help transport residents who are unable to drive themselves to medical appointments, social outings and other activities. For more information about these programs, visit the Community Care Northumberland website or call 1-866-768-7778.


The Town of Cobourg provides two fully accessible bus routes in the urban area of Cobourg, an express shuttle between Cobourg and Port Hope, and WHEELS, a door-to-door service for those unable to use conventional transit. Visit the Town of Cobourg website for more information and to view the bus schedule.

The Municipality of Port Hope provides two bus routes in the urban area of Port Hope, an express shuttle between Port Hope and Cobourg, and ROLLS, a door-to-door service for those unable to use conventional transit. Visit the Municipality of Port Hope website for more information and to view the bus schedule.


Here are some taxi services in the area:

  • Cobourg Cab: 905-373-9449
  • First Choice Taxi: 905-375-8816
  • King Taxi: 905-373-2993
  • Ganaraska Taxi: 289-829-3636
  • Van Air Taxi (to and from Toronto airports): 905-373-8850 


Cobourg and Port Hope provide VIA Rail service, connecting residents and visitors to destinations across Canada.

The closest GO Transit station is located in Oshawa, approximately 30 minutes to an hour west of Northumberland.

Volunteer and get involved

Volunteerism is the act of helping out in your community without being paid. It is a great way to get experience, build a network and meet new friends.

Many Canadians formally volunteer for non-profit organizations, or informally with schools, faith groups or sports leagues. Other areas to volunteer include hospitals, shelters, food banks, arts groups and on behalf of community fundraising efforts.

Newcomers volunteer for many reasons:

  • to learn and practice English skills
  • to meet people
  • to gain work experience
  • to give back to their community
  • to support a personal cause
  • to support their child’s school
  • to remain active

Interested in volunteering?

Ask yourself the following questions. They will help you to decide where you want to volunteer. 

  • What part of the community can I travel to easily?
  • What skills can I offer?
  • Who would I like to work with (children, seniors, youth, etc.)? 
  • What experience would I like to gain?
  • How much time can I give?

Here are some helpful websites to get started:

Well and septics

In rural areas drinking water is usually supplied by a well and wastewater is treated and disposed of in a septic system. Aquifers (areas underground where water is found) are widely distributed and generally will supply enough water for household and/or farm needs. Groundwater quality is generally good although treatment is sometimes necessary to reduce hardness and remove iron. Many household installations include treatment systems to remove bacteria which may be present. If a new resident is buying existing property, they should have the well and septic system tested/inspected.

For more information, please visit the Northumberland County Plumbing and Septic page.

Youth programs

Young people up to the ages of 18 have unique needs when they come to live in a new place. Northumberland is a welcoming community with lots for youth to do.

Getting settled

There are activities and programs to help with the following:

  • improve English language skills
  • improve social networks
  • adapt to the education system
  • assist with learning
  • help find a job or get volunteer work
  • help voice needs and concerns
  • connect other to youth resources

Visit the community centre nearby to find programs adapted for young people. 

Newcomers youth

The Northumberland Settlement Services helps newcomers students and their families reaching the education their children’s needs. Call 1-800-354-7050 ext. 6256 or email us to be referred to a Settlement Workers in School (SWIS).

You can also visit New Youth website for daily life, school, health, work and immigration resources.

Local programs and services

Local youth activities and clubs
YMCA programs

YMCA Northumberland offers programming and activities for youth at their sites in Cobourg and Brighton.

Youth Connect website is a one-stop source for useful information and government services for all youth.
The Youth Network Core

The Youth Network Core is a program dedicated to growing young newcomers' connections through networking, learning and events.

Youth services and supports