Need Income Support

If you or someone you know need income support, the following programs may be able to help.

 Ontario Works
If you or someone you know is having a hard time paying for rent, utilities or food, Northumberland County Community and Social Services may be able to offer help through Ontario Works.
 Community Outreach Program
If you have low to moderate income, are not eligible for Ontario Works or are a senior with a fixed income, our community outreach may be able to help you with rental or utility arrears, dental, prescription or vision costs and other needs.
 Ontario Disability Support Program
If you have a disability and you do not have enough money for food and housing, you can apply for financial assistance through ODSP.
 Child care financial support
Northumberland County offers a child care fee subsidy for those who qualify. You may qualify if you are working, going to school, receiving Ontario Works or have a child with special needs. Fee subsidy helps pay some or all of the cost of childcare to one of the many licensed child care options in Northumberland.
 Special needs resources
If you have a child with special needs, we want to ensure that they can take part in a licensed childcare program or approved recreational program of your choice.

Northumberland County Early Years has partnered with Five Counties Children's Centre to deliver Northumberland's Special Needs Resourcing Program.

Contact Five Counties Children's Centre for support.

 Rent-Geared-to-Income housing
If you have low to moderate income, you can apply for one of Northumberland County's Rent-Geared-to-Income (RGI) units owned and operated by the Northumberland County Housing Corporation (NCHC). There are also spaces for seniors and people requiring wheelchair modified units.

RGI assistance makes sure that a person or family does not pay more than 30% of its gross monthly income on rent. There are RGI units in Brighton, Campbellford, Cobourg, Colborne, Hastings, Port Hope and Warkworth. If you are eligible, your name will go on a waiting list when you apply.

 Other income assistance available
If you are looking for information on other income assistance including CRB or EI, visit our Income Assistance page